3500 GT Spyder
1959 / 1964
Spyder became the official name for foreign markets from 1961. Master coachbuilder Alfredo Vignale of Turin won the contract to produce the convertible version of Maserati’s first mass-produced GT car. The car’s lines – designed by Giovanni Michelotti – differed from those of the Touring coupé with a slightly more angular and muscular line. Touring also offered a shortened version of its coupé, of which only three were finalised, while Vignale assembled several pre-production prototypes showing differences in detail before the final production design was established. In six years, some 243 Spyders were sold. From 1961, Lucas fuel injection became available as an option on the Maserati 3500 GT, under the name 3500 GTi, which then gained 15 bhp.